If you are bored of eating your daily oatmeal and need a low-calorie breakfast idea for a change, then this instant pot millet porridge is for you! Millets are naturally gluten-free and completely vegan making it suitable for vegan and gluten-free diets.
Instant Pot Millet porridge is a creamy breakfast option like your oatmeal porridge. If you are bored of eating and making oats recipes , millet can be a great alternative to keep you on the weight loss track. I sometimes need variety in my diet and love exploring different foods that can keep my weight loss journey exciting and fulfilling. But firstly, lets explore
What is an Instant Pot?
Instant Pot is an electric pressure cooker that takes the fuss out of cooking with a normal pressure cooker, It reduces the overall time and effort of cooking as you don’t need to give it any attention once you set up the option to cook a particular type of food.
It has many options in it and there are different models out there which I will write about in another post. In short, an Instant Pot® is an all-in-one steamer, rice cooker, pressure cooker, and slow cooker. Instant pot is a great option for healthy cooking and needless to say it has been of great help to me in my weight loss journey. I love it! Click on the image to know more about the product and price and reviews.
What is millet?
Millet is an ancient grain that is completely gluten-free and harvested from a variety of small-seeded fast-growing grasses. Millets are grown widely in India and Africa from several centuries. There are several varieties and all of them are naturally high in protein and antioxidants and can help control blood sugar and cholesterol.
I have used millet flakes in this recipe which reduce the cooking time making it easy for a busy day.
What are millet flakes and where can I get them?
Millet flakes are a lighter version of millet grains just like quick cook oats or quinoa flakes. They resemble slightly coarse oatmeal and when combined with milk gives you a creamy porridge. You can get them in any major supermarkets or health food stores or online too. millet flakes get cooked faster than the grains.
If you don’t have millet flakes, I would suggest to grind the millet grains into coarse powder. The texture and taste may vary.
Why millet is suitable for weight loss?
- Millet grains are low fat and naturally high in protein.they are also known for helping to control blood sugar and cholesterol.
- Also, millets are loaded with fibre and are the best source of complex carbohydrates which makes it a perfect choice for weight loss.
- Many varieties of millets can be a great substitute for rice as well and help you maintain portion control. For example, am a sucker for rice and can easily go overboard whereas with millets I tend to follow portions.
What types of diets Instant Pot millet porridge is suitable for?
Millets are suitable for both gluten-free and vegan diets. Please substitute diary mil with any plant-based milk in the recipe to make it suitable for vegans.
Can we make millet porridge without Instant Pot?
Of course , you can. just like how you make oatmeal in the stove-top, millet porridge can also be cooked on stove-top. Use the same measurements of liquid and adust as it gets cooked and thickened.
You could also make this using slow cooker, however, I do not have any experience using a slow-cooker, so I would appreciate leaving a comment if you ever make it.
Can we make instant pot millet porridge ahead and store?
If you are using an Instant Pot to make this porridge, I would recommend making it fresh as all you need to do is place the ingredients and carry on doing your other works.
If you are making in any other method, you can absolutely batch cook and refrigerate it in a closed container for good 3 days for a better taste. When ready to eat, mix with more liquid and warm it in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Is the millet porridge suitable for freezing?
I don’t recommend freezing this recipe.
How to serve the Instant Pot Millet Porridge?
Millet porridge is ideally very bland and may leave an after taste in your mouth, so it’s essential we top the porridge with fresh fruits. Like oatmeal, you could serve creamy millet porridge with
- fresh or frozen fruit like banana, apples, pomegranate seeds, peaches, kiwi etc.
- almond flakes, pecan nuts (check your daily calorie limit), sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds etc.
- cinnamon powder mixed with little amounts of sugar or sweetener.
- You can drizzle low amounts of maple syrup or honey.
Check out the video, How to Instant Pot Millet PorridgePrint
This post may contain affiliate links which means if you buy the product I will earn a small commission which goes into the maintenance of this website. Your purchase price will not get impacted at all.
If you ever make this recipe please consider rating the recipe and tag me on Instagram @fatrainbowgirl and using a hashtag #fatrainbowcooks.
Here are few more healthy breakfast ideas for you
- Methi Paneer Bhurji
- High Protein Cottage Cheese Omelette
- Instant Pot Idli Batter – Soft Idli Guaranteed every time!
- Slimming Weetabix Apple Muffins
- Easy Vegan Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding
- The Best Indian Vegan Chickpea Flour Omelette
- Banana Chocolate Protein Pancakes
- You will love this Chocolate French Toast