If you are vegetarian turned into vegan recently and are missing eggs, this simple vegan chickpea flour omelette is for you. It is completely gluten-free, soy-free and each serves (2 omelette packs 10 grams of protein and less fat making it ideal for weight loss and calorie counting diets.
Vegan chickpea flour omelette is basically Indian Besan Chilla which we have been eating since childhood before even we knew the concept of any veganism. It’s a breakfast staple esp in the northern part of India. It is made with gluten-free chickpea flour, finely chopped or grated vegetable and mild spices. You could also add any leafy vegetables like spinach, amaranth, fenugreek.
What is Chickpea flour and what are the types?
Chickpea flour is primarily made from dried and hulled chickpeas that comes in 2 forms.
- White chickpeas/garbanzo beans/Kabuli chana as we call in India
- Yellow gram lentils/Black chickpeas/Kala channa as we call in India
- When black chickpeas are hulled we get yellow gram lentils or Channa Dal or Bengal gram dal which is milled to get Besan or gram flour used in this recipe.
Chickpea flour made from yellow gram lentils is called Basan/Gram flour and is popularly used in Asian cuisines to make flatbread, crepes, and the world-famous pakoras. It is completely gluten-free and soy-free making it ideal for that kind of diets. It is a great substitute for wheat flour or all-purpose flour and can be used to thicken gravies or curries.
From my experience, the chickpea flour made from Bengal gram dal is more common and inexpensive which serves the same purpose as chickpea flours made from Garbanzo beans. Here is what I have used in the recipe.
Chickpea flour when cooked almost taste like egg and can become an easy staple for you as it is very easy to make and involve less cooking. The recipe for vegan chickpea flour omelette contains the below
- Chickpea Flour is complete vegan, gluten-free and soy-free. contains a good amount of protein
- Vegetables I used onion and tomato to keep the recipe traditional but you could add grated carrot, finely chopped bell peppers to increase the filling power and nutrition.
- Green chilli which is optional.
- Carrom seeds which aid for digestion.
- Spice powders like chilli powder, chat masala, turmeric, salt and pepper.
- Baking powder to make the omelette softer.
- Coriander that enhances the whole flavour of the omelette.
- Plain water
- Cooking spray to save calories.
Why is it good for weight loss?
Chickpea flour contain good amounts of protein and adding vegetables making this omelette even more filling still keeping the calorific value low.
Also, the recipe for vegan chickpea flour omelette doesn’t call for cheese as the spice powders are enough to satisfy your taste buds.
We aren’t using any kinds of butter or oil rather calling for a low-calorie cooking spray to keep those additional calories away.
How to serve the vegan chickpea flour omelette?
Indians usually eat this besan chilla(as we call it) with a pickle but you can have it plain as it tastes good that way too. You could serve with a little tomato ketchup too.
Can I make this omelette ahead and store?
They taste the best when freshly cooked. You can mix the batter and store it in the fridge for a day or so if you prefer.
You can make the chickpea flour omelettes and store in fridge in a closed lit container. they stay good for 2 days.When needed , reheat them for 10-15 seconds in microwave.
Since the recipe is easy and cane be made fresh I wouldn’t recommend freeing it.
Where can I get chickpea flour?
Tips for making vegan chickpea flour omelette
- You can skip green chilli totally if you aren’t into spicy foods.
- Also, replace chilli powder with paprika for a less spicy version.
- Add loads of vegetables to increase the filling power of this vegan omelette. Sauteed mushrooms will be good too.
- You could even add spinach puree to the omelette to make it a total different nutritious version.
- spices can be adjusted to your preference and chat masala is optional but add excellent flavour to the chickpea omelette esp when you skip chillis.
Video recipe for Indian Besan Chilla or Chickpea Flour OmelettePrint
Vegan chickpea flour omelette or Indian besan chilla is a nutritious breakfast recipe that can be made quickly and ideal for weight loss and calorie counting diets.
- 1 cup besan/chickpea flour(roughly 75 g)
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 tomato finely chopped
- ½ tablespoon ginger chopped
- 1 small green chilli chopped(optional)
- ¼ teaspoon chilli powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon carrom seeds(or cumin seeds)
- ¼ teaspoon chat masala(optional)
- ¼ teaspoon black salt(optional)
- a pinch of salt
- a pinch of baking powder(optional)
- ¾ cup water
- In a mixing bowl, add chickpea flour, vegetables, ginger, carrom seeds,salt and spices except for chat masala and black salt with ½ cup of water.
- Using a fork, give it a good mix until all the flour is mixed properly and scraping the bottoms.
- Adust little water(usually less than ¼ cup) and form a semi-thick and not very runny batter.
- Add in black salt and chat masala if using and mix well.
- Heat a non-stick pan and spray some cooking oil.
- Pour a small ladle full of batter and spread evenly without making the omelette too thin.
- Cook on low to medium flame for 2 – 3 minutes by covering with a lid.
- Flip and cook again for a minute and serve hot. Garnish with more coriander if you prefer.
If using carrots please grate them. Can use bell peppers, spinach too.
Skip chilli if serving for kids or you need a less spicy version.
Please don’t make the omelette too thick as the chickpea flour doesn’t get cooked and taste good.
Baking powder is optional as it can make the omelettes softer.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: North Indian, Punjabi
Keywords: indian, vegan, egg-less
Here are few more breakfast ideas for you
This post contains affiliate links which means I earn a small commission if you purchase that product. Your buying price will not get affected.
If you like to see my recipe videos please subscribe here.
Share this recipe with your friends or followers, or keep in touch with us by simply using one of the sharing buttons below.
If you make this recipe please consider rating the recipe and use the hashtag #FatRainbowCooks.The recipes will be updated over the time so screenshot won’t be of much help.