If you’re looking for a simple and easy to make breakfast that also happens to be guilt-free, look no further! This high Protein Cottage Cheese Omelette is where it’s at. Filling and low-calorie meal for weight loss and calorie counting diets.
If you are still sceptical about adding cottage cheese to an omelette, don’t be! The soft low-calorie cheese smothered between layers of a warm omelette sure surprised me! This protein-packed cottage cheese omelette is
- easy to make and takes no time.
- packed with rich nutrients from eggs and spinach.
- low-calorie and high protein making it the right choice for weight loss diets. we get the protein from both eggs and cottage cheese.
- contains less fat as I made it using a cooking spray.
- perfect for a light dinner and as a low-carb meal option.
Eggs for Weight Loss
Simple funda to lose weight is to consume fewer calories than you spend. Eggs are an excellent source of protein with low calories with each egg roughly providing 72 calories in which 6.5 grams of protein exist.
Eggs are very filling with plenty of nutrients and low calories.
Eggs contain all the essential amino acids, and in the right ratios. This means your body can easily use the protein in eggs for maintenance and metabolism.
Also eggs are very versatile foods and can be used in several recipes.
Not to mention they are very cheap and easily available.
My favourite and quick way of adding eggs in my weight loss diet lately is to make a high protein cottage cheese omelette with spinach and mushrooms.
Why did I add Cottage Cheese?
Cottage cheese is an excellent low-calorie high protein cheese that is immensely helpful for weight loss. I use it in pancakes, cakes, omelette, fruit salad and in many way.
Cottage cheese is a good option offering 21 grams to 32 grams per cup! And also I pick up low-fat cottage cheese personally to make it even more suitable for my weight loss goals.
Cottage cheese omelette as weird as it may sound is very delicious and you sure have to try it once to agree with me 🙂
🥘Ingredients and Substitutes
Eggs – either whole or egg whites if you don’t want to eat yolk or make it even more low-calorie meal but I prefer not to skip yolks for their rich nutrients.
Cottage Cheese – I normally pulse it smooth before using for a smooth spread like consistency. You can also use a lighter version of low-fat cream cheese.
Veggies like spinach, mushroom, tomatoes add more texture and taste to this high protein cottage cheese omelette.
Cooking spray to minimize the oil/butter , I use butter flavored cooking spray.
I must be joking by adding this section here but actually, I have got people asking me how I managed to get such thin and big omelette when I posted this on my Instagram.
I used a wide non-stick pan like this to get a thin and even omelette.
💭Tips for Protein Cottage Cheese Omelette
Add a dash of milk while beating eggs as this can make the omelette fluffy for those who like it. and in general, gives a soft textured cheese omelette.
I also add a very tiny blob of butter to make my cheese omelette aromatic.
Drain the water from cottage cheese and pulse quickly if you want a smooth texture of cheese on the omeletee.
Wilt the spinach in advance quickly and same with mushrooms. Cook them first before pouring in the beaten egg.
Spread the beaten evenly through out the pan and cook it covered for a minute for the edges to come out naturally.
Importantly, heat the pan enough before coating it with cooking spray else the omelet will not be cooked properly and deformed.
👪Serving Cottage Cheese Omelette
This high protein cottage omelette makes a great meal on its own be it for lunch or dinner, however you can served with a cup of sautéed mushrooms to make a filling meal.
Serve it along with a fresh bowl of fruit salad gently tossed in low-fat greek yogurt.
I prefer to make omelette freshly when am ready to eat. If packing for lunch box, pack the omelette and cottage cheese separately.
Also, I prefer not to microwave eggs as they can become rubbery but if there is a need, do it for a few seconds in intervals.Print
a simple loaded high protein cheese cottage omelette perfect for weight loss or calorie counting diets, Low calorie and high protein breakfast or a light dinner.
- 2 large Eggs, whole
- ¾ cup tightly packed spinach leaves
- 3 tablespoon low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 tablespoon low-fat milk, optional
- Salt and pepper
- Cooking Spray, butter flavoured.
- Crack open the eggs into a bowl, add salt and pepper, low-fat milk and beat well.
- Heat a frying pan and add spinach covering with a lid, wilt the leaves for a couple of minutes. Take them out and keep aside.
- Coat the pan with cooking spray and pour in the beaten eggs, spread evenly all over the pan. Cook it for 2 minutes with a lid covering the pan.
- Add wilted spinach to one half of of the omelette and allow it to cook for a minute until the edges turn crispy and the middle part is soft and well cooked.
- Serve the omelette on to a plate, add in cottage cheese on the other half o the omelette and fold on to the spinach side.
- Serve with a cup of sauteed mushrooms.
Pulse the cottage cheese into smooth if you prefer but not needed usually.
You can also add finely chopped mushrooms while wilting spinach leaves.
Low-fat cream cheese can also be used in place of cottage cheese.
Drain the excess water from the cottage cheese before spreading on the omelette.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Global