Weetabix Apple Muffins are for you if you need a low-calorie sweet treat for your late-night cravings or sweet breakfast, these super fluffy. Oil-free and weight-loss friendly too. Vegan option included.
Studded with juicy apples and made with wholegrain cereals, the Weetabix apple muffins are a quick easy to-go breakfast option. Having such healthy treats ready in the kitchen makes the late-night snacking game tad bit easier too.
Instead of munching on store-bought chips and cakes, these consuming healthy homemade treats can save tons of calories. I admit, am not a baking queen but I can manage pretty well when it comes to baking low-calorie sweet treats that don’t require 100% perfection. Most of my baking doesn’t involve a lengthy process or perfect frosting making.
These Weetabix apple muffins are
✔ low-calorie and slimming friendly.
✔ made with Weetabix whole grains and less white flour.
✔ oil-free, not even a single drop is used.
✔ studded with whole fruits like juicy apples.
✔ perfect to utilize the fresh apples in autumn season.
✔ perfect as grab and go breakfast or a late night snack.
Ingredients and Substitutes
✔WEETABIX cereals – these wholegrain breakfast biscuits are my go can be used in different ways like cakes and muffins to even bread crumbs. Check paneer popcorn.
✔ APPLES – Greed, red any kind of apples will go as the aim is to include more fruit.
✔ EGGS – you can try using flax eggs too for a vegan version.
✔ WHITE FLOUR – can use self-raising flour too, if you want to compromise on texture, you can try using oat flour.
✔ SWEETENER – I have used Lidl sweetener , you can use light brown sugar instead.
✔MILK – is mandatory as no oil is used. use plant based almond or soy milk for vegans.
✔CINAMON powder – this spice powder is perfect combination for apples.
✔BAKING POWDER – helps to give nice texture t the muffins, if using self-raising flour, you can omit this.
✔LEMON ZEST – optional but gives nice fragrance to the muffins.
Few more low-calorie sweet treats
You might want to also try out my weetabix carrot cake below which is quite famous on the blog.
Step-by-Step Photo Recipe
PREP WORK – Before starting the recipe, Line a muffin tray with cupcake liners or grease with few drops of oil before starting the recipe. Preheat the oven to its maximum temperature.
1- Crack open eggs in a bowl and add the sweetener.
2- Using an electric whisker, whisk the eggs and sweetener until pale and fluffy which should take roughly 5 minutes.
3- Add flour, ground cinnamon, baking powder, a pinch of salt.
4- Mix the ingredients well until all are combined into a batter using a electric mixer preferably.
5- Add crumbled Weetabix biscuits, lemon zest if using and rest for 5 minute before mixing well with a spatula.
6- Add in chopped apples and mix well. The muffin batter is now ready to get baked.
7- Using a scoop or spoon, fill the batter up to ¾ of the muffin liners. Bake them in the pre-heated oven for 30-35 minute by checking in between.
8- Allow them to cool down and serve for breakfast or tea time snack.
Texture and Taste
- The Weetabix apple muffins have a semi-hard crust and soft inside.
- They will be less spongy compared to traditional muffins due to using less white flour.
- Weetabix apple muffins are not too sweet and balanced.
Why for Weetbix Apple Muffins for weight loss?
- Low-calorie and oil-free
- using sweetener for fewer calories(using sweetener is a personal preference).
- naturally sweet with whole fruit.
- using less white flour and replacing with whole-grain biscuits.
- Less than 140calories per muffin while regular store-bought muffin is 220 calories on an average with so much of saturated fats.
Serving Weetabix Apple Muffins
These healthy apple muffins can be served as breakfast or snack. No need of any extra frosting or toppings required. Serve with green tea or as a late night snack too.
Which diets apple muffins are suitable for?
- the Weetabix muffins are suitable for low-calorie vegetarian diets.
- To make these for vegans, substitute dairy milk for plant-based milk, eggs with flax eggs.
- I tested them storing outside for 2 days in autumn weather, they tasted good and did not become hard. I would keep in the fridge for anytime longer than this.
- I assume you will NOT get a chance or need to freeze the muffins, they are so addictive.
How to know muffins are baked?
Ideally the muffins should get baked in 25-30 minutes. Insert a tooth pick of knife in the center , if it comes out clean, the muffins are baked perfect. If not leave for further 5 to 10 minutes.Print
Need more healthy recipes and weight loss inspiration , sign up for my weekly updates.