Yep, I can’t think of any better recipe than these healthy lemon blueberry oatmeal muffins when blueberries are abundant and most importantly cheap, comes together in 30 minutes! completely free of refined flours and sugars.
Including blueberry desserts in your diet offer great health benefits as well as a nice satisfactory feeling to your taste buds, however, the widely popular blueberry muffins available across the stores are made with refined flours and loads of butter and not to mention the preservatives added to keep them fresh.
My lemon blueberry oat muffins are completely free of refined flours and refined sugars, they taste delicious and every bite is a sweet explosion of juicy berries in your mouth.
- Why this recipe works?
- Health benefits of Blueberries
- Key Ingredients
- Why do muffins come out dry?
- Texture and shape of muffins
- Make it into Lemon Blueberry Oatmeal Bread
- How to make lemon blueberry oat muffins?
- Storage and Freezing
- Expert Tips and FAQ
- Lemon Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins
Why this recipe works?
I’m trying to lose weight once more which means I need to stock up on healthy snacks and desserts else it’s much easier for to me go off track, So I always experiment with healthy ingredients in my weight loss diet which keeps me fuller for a long time.,
These lemon blueberry oatmeal muffins are made of healthy ingredients which keeps the overall calorific value low and nutritional value high.
✅ Oatflour and not refined flours, yeah they are flat but that doesn’t take out the taste.
✅ Used natural honey as a sweetener instead of refined sugars.
✅ Included egg and greek yoghurt for protein.
✅ Healthy fats like coconut oil are used instead of refined canola oils.
Health benefits of Blueberries
Blueberries or for that matter any berries are a must in my freezer any time of the year, these little berries are rich sources of antioxidants and low in calories. they are so convenient and can be added easily to smoothies, salads, desserts and pancakes. further blueberries have amazing health benefits like protecting your cholesterol in the blood and are even known to reduce blood pressure.
I normally buy fresh blueberries in bulk in supermarket sales(tip is to go one hour before the store closing time), clean and party dry before freezing them for longer periods, this is a great way of antioxidant supply to your body even they are not in season.
Now, they’re not magically soft, fluffy with a golden dome type of muffins. but they are perfectly healthy, not overly sweet that is free of refined flours and sugars. bursting with blueberries and once you make these, you will never look at another blueberry muffin recipe again especially if your aim is to lose weight!
Oat Flour – can use any quick or rolled oats ground into a fine powder, it adds lots of fibre to the muffins and keeps us full for longer.
Blueberries – the star ingredient for the blueberry muffins, use fresh or frozen. but don’t thaw if using frozen else they will bleed all over the batter.
Greek Yogurt and coconut oil – gives extra moistness to the muffins.
Egg – our natural binding agent as well as adds protein.it should be at room temperature.
Honey – I chose to use natural sugars as much as possible, you can replace them with maple syrup or stevia.
Lemon juice and zest – adds aromatic flavour to the muffins, you can also use lime instead of lemon. do not use store-bought lemon juice.
A pinch of salt and baking powder is also required, however, I didn’t have any so skipped the baking powder. you would ideally need ½ tbsp of baking powder and also few drops of vanilla essence.
Why do muffins come out dry?
there are few reasons that contribute to the dryness and crumbliness of muffins
- Over mixing the batter – I gently fold the ingredients and do not mix more than 15 times.
- Over baking – esp when we are using oats instead of refined/self-raising flour.
- Not adding enough fat – here we used coconut oil and yoghurt.
Texture and shape of muffins
My muffins don’t have a golden dome and I’m totally fine with it, I haven’t used rising agents or refined flours here. but I can promise the taste and texture are nothing less of a regular white flour muffin.
the inside is denser than a regular blueberry muffin for the obvious reason of using oat flour.
I always end up removing the muffin case too early to either eat instantly or photograph but resting them for at least an hour gives our clean shape for the muffins.
Make it into Lemon Blueberry Oatmeal Bread
now, this batter I wish I had turned it into a nice bread using a loaf tin if only I could find it from my packed boxes. I honestly feel making a loaf out of this batter is much much easier and eye-pleasing than muffins.
simply double the ingredients and pour into a regular loaf pan and follow the baking instruction as usual.
How to make lemon blueberry oat muffins?
- Step 1: Wash blueberries under cold running water and pat dry them, take corn starch into a plate and coat the berries well, this helps the berries not to sink down in the batter.
- Step 2: Line a muffin tray with cupcake liners and optionally spray cooking oil or apply some coconut oil.
- Step 3: Pre-heat the oven to its maximum temperature for at least 10-12 minutes.
- Step 5: Take all the wet ingredients oil, curd, egg, lemon juice(and also zest)into mixing bowl.
- Step 6: Using a fork or a hand beater, mix well all the wet ingredients.
- Step 7: Add the dry ingredients like oat flour, baking powder(if using), salt. Sift the flour before adding it if you can.
- Step 8: Gently mix the wet and dry ingredients together but not over mix it, I would say not to mix more than 12-15 times.
Baking the muffins
- Step 9 & 10: To the batter, add in the corn starch coated blueberries, gently fold them into the batter by not overmixing the batter.
- Step 11: Using an ice-cream scooper or a large spoon, add batter to the cupcake liners no more than the ¾ height of it. you could add additional blueberries on top at this stage.
- Step 12: Bake them at 180 degrees celsius for 20 minutes by checking in between. If you notice the top is becoming burnt, cover it with foil in the last 10 minutes.
Storage and Freezing
Like most muffins, these are best consumed on the day. To store, keep them in an airtight container. , I stored these for 3 days but you could try storing them in the fridge for a week.
These are suitable for freezing. the best is to leave them on the countertop well ahead before consuming or gently re-heat them in a microwave for not more than 15 seconds.
Expert Tips and FAQ
Simply pulse oats into a fine powder using a food processor, rolled oats and quick cook oats work better!
You can use canola or vegetable oil too.
Adding a sufficient amount of fats ensures you don’t face this problem, also make sure you are not over mixing/baking. Make sure you cool them down for at least 1 hour.
Add sufficient rising agents like baking powder and baking soda, I haven’t used any in this recipe
If you are looking for more healthy desserts, try
Lemon Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins
- 1 cup oat flour
- ⅛ cup coconut oil
- ⅛ cup greek yogurt
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ cup blueberries
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- Wash blueberries under cold runig wate and pat dry them, take corn strach into a plate and coat the berries well, this helps the berries not to sink down in the batter.
- Line a muffin tray with cupcake liners and optionally spray cooking oil or apply some coconut oil .
- Pre-heat the oven to its maximum temperature for at least 10-12 minutes.
- Take all the wet ingriednts oil, curd, egg, lemon juice(and also zest)into mixing bowl.
- Using a fork or a hand whisker, mix well all the wet ingridients.
- Add the dry ingredients like oat flour, baking powder(if using), salt. Sift the flour before adding if you can.
- Gently mix the wet and dry ingredients together but not over mix it, I would say not to mix more than 12-15 times.
- To the batter, add in the corn strach coated blueberries , gently fold them into the batter by not overmixing the batter.
- Using an ice-cream scooper or a large spoo, add batter to the cup cake liners not more than the ¾ height of the it. you could add additional blueberries on top at this stage.
- Bake them at 180 degrees celsius for 20 minutes by checking in between. If you notice the top is becoming burnt, cover it with foil in the last 10 minutes.