If you are looking for a single-serve dessert with fewer calories that help your weight loss journey,then this quick chocolate lava mug cake recipe is for you.
Am not going to promise that these chocolate lava mug cakes are the best or the softest. But hey how many times have we lost control ending up eating the whole portion of a store-bought cake; only ruining the efforts we have put up for one whole week?! That was me many times so the best possible solution I found is these low-calorie mug cakes. These simple chocolate lava mug cakes that don’t leave any second serving but will satisfy your little sweet cravings perfectly. And pure dark chocolate is not bad either!
You can make these cakes easily in the microwave so no extensive planning is required. And if you are not a perfectionist like me you can also experiment with different fruit compotes too by reducing the amount of flour. Every little calorie that we save helps, my friends.
Ingredients for healthy chocolate lava mug cake
- Self -raising flour or strong white flour with baking powder.
- Low fat spread – it’s up to you totally on what kind of fat spread you want to use.
- Sweetener – I have used granulated sweetener, again it is up to you, our aim is to reduce the calories as much as possible.
- Good quality cocoa powder.
- Dark chocolate.
- Milk – only to adjust the consistency of the batter.
- Cherries (optional)
These simple chocolate lava mug cakes are suitable only for vegetarians. I will want t try a vegan version of this in the near future., hopefully.
You can find the ingredients above in all supermarket isles across the UK but you can find them online as well
Are these ingredients good for health?
In my view, these foods are not any worse than the enormous amount of junk food we are eating at the biggest restaurant chains. Have you ever read the labels on the ready-made cakes you get in supermarkets? Loads of sugars, fats, salts. Too complex. I prefer to keep altering the full and low-fat versions mindfully by checking the ingredients always. Few low-fat items have more sugars than the full-fat versions but few are genuinely made with less fat for people like us. So always research on the products on your own by checking the food labels and make your choice.
Are these chocolate lava mug cakes suitable for freezing?
No, these are best to enjoy fresh and also hardly take 5 minutes to prepare. Also since we are using MW the texture is only suitable for immediate consumption.
Please do not attempt them to store for a long time.
How long should you cook these mug cakes for?
Ideally 60 – 90 seconds. Always check after 1 minute to and if needed cook for few more seconds. If you cook for a long time they will become very hard so make sure you check them in between.
Few more dessert ideas for you
Check out the video recipe for healthy chocolate mug cakePrint
A quick and easy low-calorie chocolate mug cake that can fix your sweet cravings helping you maintain your calorie limit.
- 20 g self-raising flour
- 10 g granulated sweetener
- 10 g cocoa powder
- 1 egg
- 25 g reduced far butter or spread
- 1 tbsp milk
- 10g dark chocolate(2 squares)
- In a bowl, crack open an egg and add flour, cocoa powder, sweetener and low fat spread
- Combine well and mix thoroughly until the fa has been well combined.
- Using a whisk mix the batter until smooth by adjusting little milk.
- Pour the batter into a greased(using a low-calorie oil spray like frylight) mugs/glass jars and pop chocolate squares in the middle of the mugs. Make sure you fill only ¾th of the mug as the cakes will rise high.
- Microwave on high for 60 seconds in full power. Check if the cake is done using a toothpick, insert it into the centre of the cake and if it comes out clean, we are good.
- If not microwave for 30 more seconds and the cake should be done.
- Allow them to cool down at least for 5 minutes before handling the cake mugs.
- Serve with fresh cherries or strawberries or raspberries.
The cakes will become hard if you cook for longer. also, these are not each taste replicate of traditional chocolate cake made in the oven.
Adust the milk to only smoothen the batter.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Microwave
- Cuisine: Global
Keywords: chocolate, egg,