This Chocolate French toast is an indulgent and ultimate dessert for breakfast that is perfect for weight loss or any calorie counting diet plans. Takes no time so no excuses on eating healthy!
Weight loss food need not be just leaves and fruits. You can indulge in your favourite food and still be on plan. No one would believe that this chocolate french toast is slimming friendly. It has got all the ticks marked to that of a traditional french toast plus chocolate so we are not missing on anything there. Breakfasts like these want you to sleep soon if you know what I mean 🙂
Instead of any calorie-loaded chocolate spread filings or chocolate as such I have used pure cocoa powder to get that taste, You could also try filling the toast with some homemade jam or any chocolate spread before toasting but this is my approach to save calories while still indulging on a tasty meal.
**Note that I have used only one egg although I planned to use 2.
- Wholemeal bread I always try to use 400g small loaf as I feel good about having 2 small slices than one single slice from an 800g loaf. You see our eyes eat the food first.
- Egg which can give that required protein content and I prefer free-range.
- Cocoa powder Good quality pure cocoa powder and make sure it hasn’t got any additional sugars in it just in case.
- Sweetener, the one I use is granulated and have equal weight to granulated sugar.
- Cinnamon powder
- Low-calorie cooking oil spray like frylight . It is usually cheaper to buy in stores as they offer discounts.
Can I make this ahead and keep in fridge?
Sure you can but it tastes best when cooked fresh. However, you can store it in a closed container and eat within 4 hours once kept outside. Reheat it on the pan than in microwave for a better taste.
Can I freeze Chocolate french toast?
Not suitable for freezing.
How to serve this french toast?
Chocolate french toast is best served with berries or banana as I personally love this combo but you could get creative and serve with any fruit of your choice.
If your calorie limit allows, go ahead and add a tiny bit of whipping cream.
Why I think this chocolate french toast suitable for weight loss?
- Using wholemeal bread that can give more fibre and keeps us full for longer.
- Egg which is a good source of protein that is useful for building muscle that can help reducing fat.
- Using low-calorie cooking spray instead of traditional fats.
- The sweetener has fewer calories than sugar but you can use normal sugar if you wish as people have a different opinion on sweeteners and chemicals involved.
- Serving with additional fruit, more filling power with fewer calories.
Check out the video recipe for Chocolate French toastPrint
Chocolate French Toast is a sweet indulgent dessert type breakfast that is completely slimming friendly and perfect for weight loss goals. Serve with berries or banana.
- 2 24g Wholemeal bread(from 400g loaf)
- 1 fresh egg
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1.5 tbsp granulated sweetener
- a pinch of cinnamon powder
- low-calorie cooking oil spray( ideally butter flavoured)
- In a plate, crack open an egg and add in cocoa powder, sweetener and ground cinnamon and mix well.
- Place each slice in the mixture and allow it to soak up the flavours for a minute or so. Repeat on both sides.
- Heat a pan and spray with cooking oil. Toast the coated bread slices for a minute or 2 on both sides until the crust turns crisp and golden brown.
- Sprinkle some sweetener and serve with fresh fruits.
Don’t soak the bread for too long as it will get soggy and difficult to handle.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: chocolate, French, egg