Ridge gourd peel chutney aka beerakaya thokku pachadi is a delicious fibre rich chutney made with peels of ridge gourd and mild spices
Beerakaya = ridge gourd
thokku = peel
pachadi = chutney
And that’s how we call ridge gourd chutney in Telugu, beerakaya thokku pachadi. This chutney is made with the skin of ridge gourd which we usually throw like any vegetable p
My mom makes chutneys with almost all vegetables like brinjal, tomato and these chutneys are quite famous in Andhra cuisine. Check out this beerakaya palu posia curry too which is made with tender ridge gourd and milk.
Benefits of Ridge gourd peel
Ridge gourd as a whole is a watery vegetable, ridge gourd peel is rich in dietary fiber and extremely low in calories. It is absolutely edible when you know the skin doesn’t contain any traces of dirt and pesticides.
This Andhra style beerakaya pachadi is
✅low in calories and extremely tasty.
✅perfect with rice or idli or dosa
✅is weight loss friendly
✅very easy to make
Step by Step Photo recipe
1.Heat ½ tsp of oil in a heavy-bottomed pan and add the ridge gourd peels and green chilis. Saute for a couple of minutes.
2. Then add a pinch of salt and turmeric. To this add a small ball of tamarind(soaked in hot water for 5 min). Saute for 5 min until the raw smell goes off.
3. Add in chopped tomatoes and cook for 5 more minutes until it become soft.
4.Switch off the flame and allow the mixture to cool down.
5.In the same pan, heat a teaspoon of oil and add crackle cumin seeds, then add channa dal,urad dal and a handful of peanuts. Roast them until golden.
6. Allow them to cool down and add to a mixer jar.
7. Pulse into powder, make sure you don’t pulse into very fine smooth powder.
8.Add the cooked ridge gourd and tomato mixture, adjust salt and grind into coarse chutney.
You can add tadka asual.
How is it useful for weight loss?
Ridge gourd itself is a very watery and low calorie vegetable so the peel contains almost no calories but high nutritional value.
Most of us South Indians end up eating lots of peanut chutney for breakfast like dosa, idli. but these kinds of low-calorie chutneys can replace such heavy calorie food.
Adding more fibre to your diet is always helpful for weight loss as fibre keeps you full for a long time.
also i haven’t used much oil for the recipe and you will hardly notice it!
You might like these chutney recipes
How to serve beerakaya thokku pachadi?
This taste great with hot rice and a little bit of ghee.
Makes a great pair for dosas, idli and all kinds of south indian breakfast items.
can also be used as sandwich filler/chutney/spread. trust me this really works! say good bye to oily store bought fillers!
Tastes good when kept on kitchen counter for a day. Can store well in fridge for more or less a week. this is not suitable for freezing as he taste changes (for me at least)
Can I skip peanuts?
Absolutely! peanuts are added for additional taste in the chutney. you can skip it if you are serving for people who have nut allergies.
also tomato be skipped too if you don’t have in stock .Print
Beerakaya Thokku Pachadi|Ridge Gourd Peel Chutney
A delicious and healthy andhra beerakaya thokku pachadi – ridge gourd peel chutney recipe
- Ridge gourd peel(taken from 2 big ridge gourds)
- 1 medium tomato
- ½ small lemon sized tamarind soaked in hot water for 5 min
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp channa dal
- ½ tsp urad dal
- 2 tbsp peanuts
- rock salt to taste
- 2 tsp oil
- a pinch of turmeric
- Heat ½ tsp of oil in a heavy-bottomed pan and add the ridge gourd peels and green chillis. Sautee for a couple of minutes.
- Then add a pinch of salt and turmeric. To this add a small ball of tamarind(soaked in hot water for 5 min). Sautee for 5 min until the raw smell goes off.
- Add in chopped tomatoes and cook for 5 more minutes until it becomes soft.
- Switch off the flame and allow the mixture to cool down.
- In the same pan, heat a teaspoon of oil and add crackle cumin seeds, then add channa dal, urad dal and a handful of peanuts. Roast them until golden.
- Allow them to cool down and add to a mixer jar.
- Pulse into powder, make sure you don’t pulse into a very fine smooth powder.
- Add the cooked ridge gourd and tomato mixture, adjust salt and grind into coarse chutney.
- You can add tadka asual.
make sure to wash the peel until clean.
adding tomato is optional but gives a nice tangy touch the chutney.
tastes great with rice or roti. you can also use it as sandwich filler.
Have you ever made beerakaya thokku pachadi? Do you find this recipe useful? I would love to hear your feedback if you make and please consider tagging me on Instagram too!
Leave a Comment