A delicious and healthy andhra beerakaya thokku pachadi – ridge gourd peel chutney recipe
- Ridge gourd peel(taken from 2 big ridge gourds)
- 1 medium tomato
- 1/2 small lemon sized tamarind soaked in hot water for 5 min
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp channa dal
- 1/2 tsp urad dal
- 2 tbsp peanuts
- rock salt to taste
- 2 tsp oil
- a pinch of turmeric
- Heat 1/2 tsp of oil in a heavy-bottomed pan and add the ridge gourd peels and green chillis. Sautee for a couple of minutes.
- Then add a pinch of salt and turmeric. To this add a small ball of tamarind(soaked in hot water for 5 min). Sautee for 5 min until the raw smell goes off.
- Add in chopped tomatoes and cook for 5 more minutes until it becomes soft.
- Switch off the flame and allow the mixture to cool down.
- In the same pan, heat a teaspoon of oil and add crackle cumin seeds, then add channa dal, urad dal and a handful of peanuts. Roast them until golden.
- Allow them to cool down and add to a mixer jar.
- Pulse into powder, make sure you don’t pulse into a very fine smooth powder.
- Add the cooked ridge gourd and tomato mixture, adjust salt and grind into coarse chutney.
- You can add tadka asual.
make sure to wash the peel until clean.
adding tomato is optional but gives a nice tangy touch the chutney.
tastes great with rice or roti. you can also use it as sandwich filler.