Dosakaya tomato Kura or yellow cucumber tomato curry is a slimming friendly vegan low-calorie curry suitable for weight loss and calorie counting diets.
Andhra dosakaya tomato kura is a healthy low-calorie everyday curry made with yellow cucumber and tomatoes like this beerakaya/ride gourd curry. Curry is not always over powdered with garam masala in every day Indian cooking at least when it comes to south Indian cuisine. Every day curries are made with simple ingredients.
This dosakaya curry is very famous in Telugu homes across the Andhra Pradesh. It is made using yellow cucumber which is also known as Curry cucumber or kura dosakaya. It is cooked with tomatoes and onions without any use of spices powders like garam masala.
Since yellow cucumber is very cool and watery vegetable, the doaskaya curry is a low-calorie curry perfect for weight loss and calorie counting diets. When you prefer to eat something light for dinner, this dosakaya tomato curry recipe is perfect.
Dosakaya Tomato Kura i.e Yellow Cucumber Curry is
✅body coolant and a tangy simple curry without much spices.
✅low-calorie and perfect for weight loss and calorie counting diets.
✅simple refreshing curry perfect for rice and rotis.
✅prepared using less oil as the yellow cucumber is a watery vegetable already and gets cooked easily.
Ingredients for Dosakaya Tomato Kura
- Yellow Cucumber – you get this vegetable usually in Indian stores. It is bright yellow in colour or yellow with green stripes on it. This has to be properly firm and not too ripen.
- tomatoes – need red ripen ones to get a tasty and juicy curry.
- Onion – which forms the base of the curry.
- Green chillis – optional and can skip.
- Turmeric and red chilli powders.
- Curry leaves, coriander leaves – are a must to any simple Indian curries but you can sip if you dot have.
- Oil -I use very less like a teaspoon, you can use vegetable or groundnut or sunflower oil.
- mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal
Tips to make yellow cucumber curry
- Need to use yellow cucumber and not green cucumber used for salads. the cucumber should not be too ripen and need to be firm. also, do a taste test for cucumber, few become very bitter and this spoils the curry.
- Use red ripen tomatoes as sour ones make the curry even sourer when cooked with cucumber.
- Do not add any water while making dosakaya curry as cucumber and tomato have enough water.
How to serve Dosakaya Tomato Curry
This yellow cucumber curry can be served with rice or roti. You can also serve with brown rice or millets or quinoa.
Not a traditional thing, but you can try stuffing this curry on toasted bread, like a sandwich filler. this can be a light dinner.
There are many variations for dosakaya tomato kura
- You can add drumsticks, brinjal too in the same curry. First cook drumsticks and brinjal for 10 minutes before adding tomatoes, cucumber.
- In the end, you can also add boiled eggs to increase the protein content.
What diets dosakaya curry is suitable for?
This Andhra style dosakaya tomato kura or yellow cucumber curry is completely vegan, gluten-free and suitable for weight loss and calorie counting diets.Print