Dosakaya tomato Kura or yellow cucumber tomato curry is a slimming friendly vegan low-calorie curry suitable for weight loss and calorie counting diets.
Andhra dosakaya tomato kura is a healthy low-calorie everyday curry made with yellow cucumber and tomatoes like this beerakaya/ride gourd curry. Curry is not always over powdered with garam masala in every day Indian cooking at least when it comes to south Indian cuisine. Every day curries are made with simple ingredients.
This dosakaya curry is very famous in Telugu homes across the Andhra Pradesh. It is made using yellow cucumber which is also known as Curry cucumber or kura dosakaya. It is cooked with tomatoes and onions without any use of spices powders like garam masala.
Since yellow cucumber is very cool and watery vegetable, the doaskaya curry is a low-calorie curry perfect for weight loss and calorie counting diets. When you prefer to eat something light for dinner, this dosakaya tomato curry recipe is perfect.
Dosakaya Tomato Kura i.e Yellow Cucumber Curry is
✅body coolant and a tangy simple curry without much spices.
✅low-calorie and perfect for weight loss and calorie counting diets.
✅simple refreshing curry perfect for rice and rotis.
✅prepared using less oil as the yellow cucumber is a watery vegetable already and gets cooked easily.
Ingredients for Dosakaya Tomato Kura
- Yellow Cucumber – you get this vegetable usually in Indian stores. It is bright yellow in colour or yellow with green stripes on it. This has to be properly firm and not too ripen.
- tomatoes – need red ripen ones to get a tasty and juicy curry.
- Onion – which forms the base of the curry.
- Green chillis – optional and can skip.
- Turmeric and red chilli powders.
- Curry leaves, coriander leaves – are a must to any simple Indian curries but you can sip if you dot have.
- Oil -I use very less like a teaspoon, you can use vegetable or groundnut or sunflower oil.
- mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal
Tips to make yellow cucumber curry
- Need to use yellow cucumber and not green cucumber used for salads. the cucumber should not be too ripen and need to be firm. also, do a taste test for cucumber, few become very bitter and this spoils the curry.
- Use red ripen tomatoes as sour ones make the curry even sourer when cooked with cucumber.
- Do not add any water while making dosakaya curry as cucumber and tomato have enough water.
How to serve Dosakaya Tomato Curry
This yellow cucumber curry can be served with rice or roti. You can also serve with brown rice or millets or quinoa.
Not a traditional thing, but you can try stuffing this curry on toasted bread, like a sandwich filler. this can be a light dinner.
There are many variations for dosakaya tomato kura
- You can add drumsticks, brinjal too in the same curry. First cook drumsticks and brinjal for 10 minutes before adding tomatoes, cucumber.
- In the end, you can also add boiled eggs to increase the protein content.
What diets dosakaya curry is suitable for?
This Andhra style dosakaya tomato kura or yellow cucumber curry is completely vegan, gluten-free and suitable for weight loss and calorie counting diets.Print
A healthy and low-calorie yellow cucumber curry.Andhra style dosakaya tomato kura recipe ideal for weight loss and calorie counting diets. Can be served with rice or roti
- 1 big yellow cucumber
- 4 ripen medium tomatoes
- 1 small green chilli slit
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 spring curry leaves optional
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon urad dal(optional)
- few springs of coriander leaves chopped
- Peel the yellow cucumber and cut into small bite sized chunks. Chope the tomatoes and onion too.
- In a pan, heat oil and crackle mustard seeds, then add cumin seeds, urad dal and curry leaves. Add 1 dried red chilli optionally. Saute well until nice aroma comes.
- Then add chopped onion and fry until they turn little pink with salt added.
- Add turmeric powder and mix well.
- Then add chopped tomato, yellow cucumber and mix well. Cook, it covered under low to medium flame for at least 10-15 minutes, at this point, you will see the curry thickens and nicely done.
- Add red chilli powder and mix well, adust any salt and sprinkle loads of coriander leaves.
- Cook for 5 more minutes and switch off the flame. Serve hot with rice or roti.
Do not add any water to the curry, the water released from tomatoes and cucumber is more than enough.
If you can’t tolerate much spice, skip the green chilli.
the calorie information is an estimate only.
Taste the number before adding to curry, bitter ones are not suitable for making curry.
You can add a little bit of ginger garlic paste while sauteing onions but I prefer the curry plain,
- Category: Side Dishes
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: dosakaya, yellow cucumber, south indian