Vegan Spinach lentil meatballs are a healthy baked version of traditional meatballs recipe, they can be had as an appetizer or simmer in an Italian tomato sauce to serve on pasta. Rich in protein and fibre thus making it as an ideal meal for weight loss diets.
- 1 Cup Green Lentils
- 1 Cup tightly packed Spinach
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped onions
- 4 garlic pods
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 Cup Oats
- 2 tablespoon flax meal mixed with 2 tbsp of water
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon white pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian herbs or dried fenugreek leaves
- Salt as required
- Low Calorie cooking spray
- Wash the lentils well under running water and soak for 30 minutes at least. Cook in boiling water according to the packet instructions. I soaked them overnight which eliminates the need for any cooking though.
- Wash the spinach well and blanch in hot water and immediately transfer to ice cold water optionally to preserve the colour.
- Take 2 tablespoon flax meal mixed with approx 4 tablespoons of water and rest for 15 min at least.
- In a heated pan, add cooking spray and fry roughly chopped garlic until brown.
- Add in onions and fry for 5 min, add in 2 tbsp of water and cook until soft. Cooking in water eliminates excess calories. Allow it to cool down.
- Take lentils, spice powders bread crumbs, oats into a blender jar and pulse coarsely.
- Add in blanched spinach and mix well.
- Roll in small balls and optionally keep in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Line a baking tray with foil paper(or baking paper if available) and spray some oil.
- Place the rolled balls without touching each other and spray cooking oil lightly.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 15 min at 180C, then flip them over and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Serve them with salad or simmer them in a tomato sauce to serve over spaghetti pasta.
If you don’t’ have flax meal, grind up some flax seeds to make a coarse powder.
Total time of the recipe is given assuming you use cooked lentils or overnight soaked lentils.
Baking time depends on the quality of your ingredients and oven, so adust timings accordingly.
Nutrition calculation is given for one ball, the recipe serves 25 balls approx and can be served for 5 people as part of mains.
This recipe has been inspired by Lazy Cat Kitchen
- Category: Appetizers, Lunch
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: vegan, Italian, lentils,flaxmeal