Healthy Instant Pot Mushroom Risotto is a one-pot dish full of nutrients and ideal for batch cooking can make a perfect weeknight dinner.
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 150 g baby mushrooms sliced or whole
- 2 garlic cloves chopped finely
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon mixed Italian herbs
- 1 pot garden vegetable stock
- Butter or olive or garlic flavoured cooking oil spray
- 60 g grated low-fat Parmesan or cheddar cheese
- Turn on the saute mode on Instant pot with medium mode.
- Once it says ‘ON’ spray cooking oil and add in chopped garlic and fry lightly.
- Add in chopped onion and mushrooms.
- Add salt and fry for a minute until they become soft. Please note that the medium mode on instant pot tends to burn the pot surface quickly so try to fry the veggies using a splash of water always. You could always use the ‘low’ mode but then it is a very time taking process for me hence I prefer cooking with water in medium mode by occasional stirring.
- Add in the stockpot contents, Italian herbs, salt, freshly ground black pepper and roughly 3 cups of water.
- allow the water to boil and add in rice stirring until the flavours are incorporated into rice well.
- Adjust salt, close the lids and cancel the saute mode.
- Switch on the pressure cooker manual mode and set the timer to 5 minutes.
- Once it is done(it usually takes at least 15 minutes time to build up the pressure before setting itself to cook for 5 minutes) allow the pressure to release naturally and open the lid.
- Stir in the grated cheese and sprinkle freshly chopped parsley and serve hot!
I always supplement my less-oil cooking using a splash of water so the bottom is not burnt using instant pot.
If you don’t have arborio rice just use any short grain rice or even sticky rice. Works the same.
If you don’t have time use the manual release for the pressure valve to release pressure.
Optionally, you can also add in 1 chopped carrots along with mushrooms and add a handful of baby spinach at the end when you add cheese.
Rock salt adds more flavour than table salt.
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Cook
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: low-fat, italian, rice, mushroom