A fragrant and flavourful Indian Lemon Rice perfect as a side dish or a meal on its own for a heavy carb day!
- 1 Cup raw short or medium grain rice
- 1.5 tsp of sunflower oil
- Juice of one soft lemon
- 1 tbsp cashew nuts
- 1 tbsp peanuts
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp split channa dal
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1 spring curry leaves
- 1 small green chilli slit
- 1 dried red chilli
- Hing and ginger (optional)
- Wash the rice well and cook according to the packet instructions. But make sure you don’t use more water. rice to water ratio should be ideally 1:2 Cool down the rice.
- Heat a pan with 1.5 tsp of oil and fry the cashews and peanuts if using for a minute or 2 on low flame.
- Add finely chopped ginger (if using), mustard seeds, urad and channa dal, chillis and fry well for 1 or 2 minutes. These should not be burnt but should turn into nice golden brown colour.
- Add in curry leaves and hing(if using) , turmeric at the end and switch off the stove. Allow it to cool down a bit before adding lime juice.
- Now add in lemon juice and the before it gets evaporated quickly add in the cooked rice to give a good mix.
- Allow all the flavours get incorporated into rice and rest for 10 to 15 min if you can. You can have it immediately too 🙂
Short or medium-grain rice works best for lemon rice.
Make sure the rice is not mushy.If possible use left over rice.
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: rice, Indian, lemon, lime