Vegan Low-Fat Basil Pesto is easy to make at home and a good option to mix with pasta and salads. This can also be used as a sandwich filler.
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 2 garlic pods
- 2.5 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Juice from half a lemon
- 1 teaspoon rock salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper corns
- Wash the basil leaves properly under cold running tap water to remove any dirt.
- Add walnuts, rock salt peppercorns, garlic cloves and basil leaves into a mixer grinder.
- Pulse coarsely by adding olive oil and lemon juice gradually. Adust any salt and pepper as per tastes
- Transfer to a sealed glass jar and keep refrigerated until ready to use.
- Mix with pasta or salads as required and spread on toasts or use as a sandwich filler.
You can add pine nuts or almonds too in place of walnuts.
Incorporate oil slowly to the pesto to get it mixed well.
Nutrition values are given for one tablespoon, the recipe makes 5-6 tablespoons.
Optionally add in 2 tablespoons of grated parmesan for additional taste but check your calorie limit.
- Category: Preserves
- Method: Grind
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: basil pesto, low-fat, vegan, italian