Instant Pot Peas Pulao is a fragrant one-pot dish studded with green peas and flavoured with warm spices. Pair it up with any curries or serve with raitha.
- 1 Cup Basmati rice soaked for at least 15 minutes
- 1.25 cups of water*
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen green peas
- 1 teaspoon ghee or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 3–4 green cardamoms
- 3–4 cloves
- 1 teaspoon black cumin seeds
- 2 Bay leaves
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves for garnish(optional)
- Wash the rice well and soak for at least 15-30 minutes.
- Switch on the saute mode and keep on medium. Add a teaspoon of ghee.
- Once warm, crackle cumin seeds and whole spices and bay leaf, fry for few seconds.
- Add sliced onions and Fry them well, and add a splash of water if you think the bottom is burning.
- Add salt and cook for 5 min or until the onions are fried lightly. add in ginger garlic paste and fry until the raw smell goes off.
- then add green peas, green chilli and cook for 2 minutes. Drain the water from soaked rice and add into the instant pot.
- Add water and stir so all the ingredients are mixed completely. Taste and adjust salt if required. Close the lid.
- Switch off the saute mode and ON the manual pressure cooker mode. Set the timer for 4 minutes. Adjust the vent/whistle t correct side while cooking.
- Once done, you will see L followed by time displayed indicated the cooking is complete. Allow the pressure to release naturally or in a hurry, do manual release carefully but only after at least 10 minutes.
- fluff with a fork and sprinkle coriander. Serve hot with any curry of your choice or cucumber onion raitha.
Soaking rice for at least 15-30 minutes makes the rice nice extra long.
*Use the rice to water ratio is 1:1.25 as a standard rule for cooking basmati rice, you might want to test it few times as it can vary depending upon the quality, age and brand of rice.
Switch the saute mode between medium to low whenever necessary to avoid burning the ingredients.
Use splashes of water as required while frying onions if you think the bottom is getting burnt as we used less ghee/oil in the recipe.
Always check the bottom of the pot and scrape any burnt food before pressure cooking, else the instant pot will go to burn mode will not get cooked.
Replace ghee with vegetable oil if you want to serve it for vegans.
Use normal coming seeds if you can’t find black cumin.
You can also add black cardamom if you find it.
Fresh peas can also be used in place of frozen peas.
- Category: Rice, Sides, Mains
- Method: Pressure Cook
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: peas, green peas, rice, indian, gluten-free