A healthy refined sugar-free butternut squash cake with salted cream cheese frosting, perfect for weight loss and calorie counting diets.
- 250 g or 1 cup butternut squash cooked and mashed
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder*
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 tablespoon olive oil or vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoon Greek Yogurt
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tub or 180 grams low-fat cream cheese softened at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- a pinch of sea salt
- Mixed nuts for decoration(optional)
Pre-heat the oven at 300C and grease a baking tray with oil and flour.
Batter prep Beat oil, eggs, honey, yoghurt until pale and fluffy using handheld or electric beater.
Add flour, baking powder, cinnamon and mix well to form a thick batter.
Add the cooked and mashed butternut squash(roasted and mashed) and mix well. If needed add a little milk to dilute the batter.
Bake Pour the batter in a geared pan and pat down twice. Bake in a pre-heated oven for 45 -50 minutes by checking in between.
If a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean, your cake is baked completely.
Cooling down Allow it to cool down on a wire rack before you can apply cream cheese frosting.
Allow the cream cheese to soften naturally at room temperature. Add little sea salt and a splash of vanilla essence.
Beat with an electric beater or even a fork until creamy and spreadable.
apply on the cooled down cake and top with sliced nuts and roasted butternut squash pieces.
- Sweetener: Use maple syrup or honey. the next best alternative is dark brown sugar.
- You can also use pumpkin puree instead of squash. Also, apple would be a nice addition.
- The nutrition info s only an estimate only.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Global